Identification errors in patient specimens and laboratory testing have been reported as the leading cause of laboratory errors.
The barcode sample tracking system has reduced errors in patient specimen identification and handling, where error mitigation is crucial.
In this blog, let’s understand how barcode helps in sample management and their advantages.
How does Barcode work in Voilà’s sample tracking Software?
Barcode labeling improves data collection and management, streamlines inventory management, and eliminates human errors.
Used alongside Voila’s asset tracking software, it enables labs to identify and track the movement and storage of the samples. The process of barcode-based sample tracking is depicted below:
- Print and affix the barcode labels to the sample containers.
- Scan barcode to Update sample details after sample collection by shuttlers via Voila phlebo app.
- Track the sample type, temperature, and location via the Voila lab manager app.
- Scan barcode to update details and test carried out with the samples.
Voila’s Barcode sample tracking has several advantages besides error sample identification and handling. Some significant advantages are listed below.
Advantages of Voila’s Barcode Sample Tracking Solution:
Barcode-based sample management systems have gained extensive use in clinical laboratories, and combined with best-in-class laboratory information management systems, companies can relish quite a few advantages, including,
- Efficient Sample Management
- Error-free sample management
- Intra-lab Sample Tracking
Efficient Sample Management:
Voila improves the efficiency of lab sample management by tracking samples labeled with unique barcodes. Especially when the project involves thousands of samples, it accelerates the sample identification with zero error.
The barcode-based sample tracking also streamlines inventory management. It enables lab managers to locate samples quickly. With Voila, labs can monitor and update inventories in real time. This results in higher efficiency and better control of inventory purchases.
Error-free Sample Management:
Poor Handwriting, misspellings, and skipped entries are common human errors with traditional sample management. Identifying these errors and fixing them is time-consuming.
Voila’s sample management solution eliminates human errors by digitalizing the data entries. The information is linked to the barcode. It is then tracked and fast by scanning the barcode.
Intra-lab Sample Tracking:
Samples are used by several departments within the laboratory for testing. Voila’s barcode-enabled simple tracking assures the team is up-to-date and allows lab managers to locate samples quickly.
The finished samples can be marked as consumed and avoid sample misplacements. It eliminates clutter within the lab and enables organized sample management.
Considerations for Barcode Sample labeling:
Accurate sample labeling is the best defense against misidentification errors and their consequences. Though barcode sample labeling is a proven method to avoid this issue, laboratories must address several factors:
- Label sizing – Test tubes, blood bags, sliders, and hermetically sealed containers require specific label dimensions. Labs should equip a versatile printing technology to have cost-effective barcode labels.
- Patient ID verification – The lab should use at least two patient identifiers during sample collection to meet the patient ID goals.
- Legibility – Labs should use color-coded labels to differentiate specimens, indicating what test is to be performed. Also, the labels should be replaced on demand after each test when exposed to liquids.
- Durability – Pathology labs often must store specimens for up to 20 years, which means labels must be durable enough to last and afford resistance to chemicals.
Voila’s Lab Sample Management Software:
Barcode labeling and sample tracking are proven methods for reducing sample identification and data entry errors while meeting regulatory mandates.
Voila’s laboratory management software is a comprehensive software solution with barcode scanning designed and developed for healthcare industry clients to drive successful customer-centric relationships.
To know more about Voila, request for demo at https://voila.health/
Phone: +91 89398 38183, +91 89398 32446